My Teaching Philosophy

My Teaching Philosophy

“I touch the future. I teach.” – Christina McAuliffe
I believe our students are our future. Each of our students has the potential to bring something unique and special to the world. Teaching is an important and honourable occupation that demands commitment. There are miracles, learning, healing, laughter, sharing and love every day in classrooms all around the world. A teacher has the opportunity to impact on students’ lives in a positive way; this is a huge privilege that shouldn’t be taken lightly.
As a dedicated teacher, I will endeavour to uphold the following. 
  • Ensure that student learning needs are the primary focus  of attention.
  • Demonstrate enthusiasm and the importance for each KLA.
  • Incorporate ICT in classroom experiences in meaningful and interactive ways.
  • Hold a positive regard for all students and ensure that respect is maintained within the classroom at all times.
  • Believe in the ability of all students to learn, expect all students to learn and convey this expectation to individuals, the class and the community.
  • Create a classroom that is a welcoming, positive and fair environment where all students learn from one another and feel safe and comfortable to share their thoughts and ideas.
  • Establish high, however not unreachable, standards and provide support to students to reach those standards.
  • Embrace the constructivist learning approach which includes the following.
  • The teacher acting as the facilitator and the learner being active and involved.
  • Students exposed to alternative viewpoints of group members.
  • Language is developed in context by the teacher and the peer group is important.
  • A need to acknowledge that individual learning outcomes may be different.
  • Testing emphasises performance rather than potential.
  • Ensure my students are actively engaged in learning experiences which deal with issues which they regard as important in their lives.
  • Ensure deep learning is imparted rather than rote learning and my students are supported in order to make connections to understand relationships.
  • Provide specific and meaningful positive feedback and encouragement to my students as it is important to me that my students build up their confidence and develop intrinsic motivation.
  • Monitor individual student learning and plan according to the needs of individuals, groups and the whole class.
  • Foster independent learning.
  • Expect students to take responsibility for their learning.
  • Model what is to be expected of the students.
  • Create a learning environment that is serious and thoughtful, while using light humour to create a sense of community.
  • Be prepared and to continue to learn from the students and to grow in understanding regarding content.
  • Continually reflect on my practice and demonstrate my commitment to lifelong learning by seeking out appropriate collegial support and furthering my own professional development.
  • Hold myself accountable to high standards of performance and continually seek improvement in present and future performance.
  • Make a difference in my school community by working as part of a team with my colleagues and sharing my knowledge and skills whenever I can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflective About Blended Learning